Thursday, August 5, 2010

First Night.. August 5th....

Well left Philadelphia this am at 10 AM EST and got into Detroit at noon. Met my co worker Pat and had lunch and then waited to 4 PM EST when we took off. We had an approximate 14 hour flight to Nagoya Japan. The flight was good, the food was great... sat behind this family from Michigan, She was a native Filipino, her American husband and 2 kids. We talked and she gave me some good things to know about Manila, food, places to go, tipping and just knowledgeable things. I sat next to this woman that was in the states visiting her sister who lives in Michigan. She is a principal of a high school. She manages 200 teachers and 7000 kids. Huge school.

After dinner I put on my pastel blinders and blocked out what little light was in the cabin and tried to sleep. I was in and out of slumber til around 3:30 AM (my body time) 3:30 PM local time when they woke us up to feed us breakfast. We landed in Nagoya Japan around 6:00 PM Local time. We had to deplane, walk out of the terminal and then back through security. It was a simple breeze all right there. We had a layover of 90 minutes. They had free Internet service but then of course who was up at 6:00 AM EST?? no one. I emailed a couple of people and then signed off. Interesting thing .... I was going to use the restroom since this airport was very modern. I went into the stall... and just stared at the floor.. I couldn't figure out how to use this "toilet".... I did look at it for about 5 minutes.. but with the flying, long day and kind of tired... I just said ... I will use the toilet in the plane.

Back on the plane for 4 more hours to Manila from Nagoya Japan... arriving Manila 10:30 PM local time. We got our luggage and through customers, immigration pretty quickly. Then we were met by the staff of the Shangri La Hotel (google Shangri La Makati Manila). They grabbed our 8 bags and took us to this lounge that was outside. It looked just like the hotel, gave us water and we waited about 5 minutes in the air conditioning. It was about 80 degrees and very humid. They took our bags and loaded in the car and whisked us off to the hotel. It took us about 20 minutes to get to the hotel. Now just a few observations that I had while in my slumber... 1) I am SO GLAD that I am 5'6, 145 lbs.. flying coach for 20 hours is bad enough... but if I was a big guy? I don't know how they do it... Bathrooms in planes (at least I knew how to use it) again.. very small.... and I think Disney should start up their own airlines for families with kids like they do for cruises. I love kids... but not small ones on planes when you are trying to sleep..... :)

Manila is a city of millions. The Philippines is a 3rd world country and we drove through not so pretty areas from the airport to the hotel. The Shangri La is located in Makati which is their business section, the wealthiest section of the city. There are major hotels, major shopping and it is gorgeous (the pictures don't do it justice). When I tell you that the people of the Philippines are the nicest and most polite I am not exaggerating one bit. There are a lot of employees and they are all anxious to help you, greet you, do anything for you. This hotel is a 5 star hotel. I tried to download some pics and will see if it works. Bare with me while I learn how to use my new blog. I am living like a king. The room is beautiful, and my view from the 7th floor is of the front of the hotel. There is a huge water fountain (a la Belagio in Vegas) with palm trees and all lit up. There is a huge circular drive that everyone goes through for security and then to the front after that.

We checked in with our own special concierge for AT&T. Sabrina could not be more nicer, more beautiful and FASHIONABLE!!!! I have complimentary Internet, laundry and dry cleaning, and morning buffet with the room rate. The buffet has all kinds of food besides breakfast food. I have been ins some Best Western's in the states that cost more than this hotel.

I got to my room, unpacked, got all situated, and then took a stroll around the hotel. I took some pictures which hopefully I can get on here one way or the other. Came back to my room and took a hot shower. Now I am catching up with some work, my email, skype calls, and blog. The gym (state of the art, sauna, steam room) opens at 5 AM, (just going to do some walking which will be my night routine when I get up) the pool which is outdoors opens up at 6, probably get some food, and then head to bead around 10 AM. I have to work tonight (Friday) to meet folks, check on things and then I will be ready for Monday night ... day 1.

So that is it so far... I am going to have a great time... I can just tell.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're there safely. You're hotel reminds me of The White Swan, where we stayed for part of our trip to China. It's so beautiful and it sounds like you have a lay of the land as well. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took you thousands of miles to learn that Filipinos are to nicest people in the world? What was I...chopped liver? LOL

    Have fun! But do be careful when you stroll around, ok? Makati has some sketchy areas...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought you were a great guy... and very cute too.... :) I will be careful where I go and when ... Thanks Erick

    ReplyDelete