Sunday, October 24, 2010





Hello All:

not a lot happened this week... well ok.. somethings happened... life happened.. and with life there are always stories..

Week at work was pretty good.. and not too hectic.. actually was a good week to ramp up to what is going to be a very crazy week ahead.. so I feel like I am so ready... of course the vacation helped that as well.

One thing that happened last week was I got to go running OUTSIDE!!!!!! which is a big deal. You see it is not like I am going to go outside myself running for many reasons. 1.. when you run outside it has to be early morning or maybe later on at night. The hotel is situated in a very busy downtown financial district with a lot of buildings, and A LOT of traffic. Also the weather plays a factor as well. But 2 days last week after work (6 AM Local Time) I went running with 2 workers in my group. I was ecstatic.. Both guys weren't really runners and so I had to slow down not to kill them which was ok. We ran the first day a good distance away. We ran by the Filipino / American cemetery where there are unknown American soldiers. It was an amazing place. We also ran in traffic.. which was crazy... and also the best time was we ran right through a jeepney stop where people were waiting for jeepneys. A jeepney is a big jeep that is one of the major mass transit vehicles. I was told there are about 100,000 jeepneys in Manila. Go and google jeepney to see them. So if you can imagine.. 2 20 something guys panting as if I was killing them and me.. a very white American running througha jeepney stop ... the looks I got were just too funny. I got to talk to Than and Mar and get to know them better which was great.. and for me just to be able to run outside felt so free and great.

The end of the week saw Pat leave for home.. she was so glad to be going home. It also brought Betty in at the beginning of the week and it has been good to see her and catch up as well. We have known each other for years.

The weekend brought a couple of fun things. On Saturday, Donald ( a guy from work) met me at the hotel in the afternoon and took me to the MegaMall.. It is one of the SM malls. The man that owns the SM malls and food stores is the richest man in all of the Philippines. This place is HUGE!!!!! and not even the biggest. The biggest mall is the Mall of Asia.. and I am told the biggest mall in all of Asia. I can't imagine.. The mega mall is 5 floors, and it is the size of 2 very large convention centers. From the outside it is HUGE!!!.. For those that live in the Philly area, it is easily the size of the King of Prussia mall.. BOTH the court and the plaza.. but 5 floors.. Well Donald and I went to town and went shopping.. got some good sales.. and had just a great time.. was like 2 friends just shopping.. On Sunday the sun was actually out.. and the sky was as blue as I have seen the sky since I have been here. The smog was gone and the sun was out.. so after eating I went to the pool and got some sun. Met this guy named Slaf who is Russian but has lived in the UK (London) for the last 7 years. He works for Shell.. and was CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!!! Then back to my routine.. THE SPA!!!!!! (Thank you Erick D...) So at 1:30 there I was back at the spa.. had the exfoliation with sea salt, the botanical fruit wrap with the hour massage.. HEAVENLY.. that also came with a 20 minute soak in the jacuzzi too. Then the facial.. manicure and pedicure.. walked out at 6:15 and was 1/2 a sleep.. I was in heaven.

Got home and then got some sleep and up at midnight.. went downstairs to the lobby and watched the new flowers go up.. and talked with Lisa, Betty, Spencer and Larry til 5:15. I skyped my mom and showed her around my living room.. er... I mean the lobby of the hotel.
This morning ran my 4.8 K (3 miles), weighed in at 66 K (145 lbs) and sat in the steam room and took a cold shower to cool down. Just got back from eating.. and catching up on my blog, may go to the pool this am.. if the sun comes out a little more. It is kind of cloudy out there.

So a good week by all accounts. At the spa I read an article called "urban jungle survival kit".. which was as great read. I ripped it out of the magazine and will write it up and put in facebook on my notes page. Read it and enjoy.

Now for the week ahead.. work is going to be CRAZY!!!!! but I will get through it.. and it will be fine. That is not why I am skipping ahead. This last week my folks from work invited me to this "team building" event. This event is going to be a weekend away to one of the provinces which I think is to the south. It is a resort right on the beach. we are going to be leaving by van right after work on Saturday and return sometime on Sunday night. I am not sure of all the events but for some sneaky reason, I feel like I want to know every detail .. since I will be the oldest by far of the group. There is going to be 14 Filipinos from the floor at work. 2 Indian managers and me. If there is anyone over 30 I would be surprised.... So hopefully you won't hear on CNN trailer.. "International incident with 14 Filipino's, their Indian mangers from one of the call centers with a 51 yr American business man.. Stay tuned to the Situation Room.. with Wolf Blitzer." Here is the website for the place we are going. I can't wait. Looks like fun, and sun and beach and good people from 3 countries and well I am SURE that there will be a story or 2 from this weekend.. !!!

www.bakasyunanresort.ph/

Oh by the way, Than which is 26 I think asked me at lunch last week.. Craig.. do you drink????? I thought "On No... this is going to be a WEEKEND I will never forget.. " I am just hoping you don't see me in the "Situation Room" with Wolf!!!!

Well that is it... Oh by the way I think (am pretty sure) that I am returning in January to Manila.. Mixed emotions but like everything I will take advantage of the best things here.. and work hard to get through successfully on the work things. So not sure how long.. but I am guessing at least 4 weeks.. but have heard some thoughts of funding for the 1st quarter. So we will see.

Until then... see my notes in Facebook for the article and think great thoughts.. and live life to the fullest..

I just remember one last story.. On Tuesday I was walking thru the mall to the office holding my computer bag, my gym bag, my lunch and my coffee.. (yes think pack mule and you will see me) and I was talking to Lisa.. and BAM!!!! ran smack dab into some guy and almost ran him over.. (remember.. the average size is smaller than in the USA). I spilled my coffee all over my shirt. I was in the bathroom about 8:30.. and seeing the coffee all over me.. and I felt and looked a little messy.. and remembered.. I work in a mall.. Literally. So they don't close til 9:30 and it was only 8:45. I run down into a store and find 2 polo shirts. I am in the dressing room trying it on (bought a large) and here over the store speaker is Xmas music. They start to celebrate Xmas in September.. Well it was Let It Snow.. some rock and roll version I have never heard of.. The irony of it all.. IT meaning.. here I am in Manila Philippines, the average temputure is 90 degrees F., It's October and I am hearing Xmas music.. and of all things Let it Snow.. when they will never see snow in Manila.. and me here.. Oh how life is a strange and wacky situation sometimes.. I just laughed to myself.. and thought.. Life is really good. I walked out singing, with a new and clean shirt and a bunch of Filipinos probably talking about the crazy singing american walking out the door.

Ok.. bye.


No comments:

Post a Comment